More than twelve months on since I asked – What if Carlsberg made outdoor clothing? – my initial assessment and review of the RAB Vapour-rise Guide Jacket is proving to be one of those posts that turned out to be another – ‘I told you so’ moment…
Rab say the jacket is “a winter weight softshell that really works” – I have to wholeheartedly agree. Hardly surprising when it’s whether protection and supreme breathability comes from fabric technology originally devised by Rab Carrington himself.
Don’t be ashamed to admit if you’re not completely clear about the gear industry’s last big layer invention, many still aren’t. For those unfamiliar with the softshell concept, although I can’t think there can be many these days, some may be asking; what is a soft shell jacket? You can find a useful soft shell buyers guide clothing at outdoorsmagic.com.
Rab are committed to making outstanding gear for climbers and mountaineers who take it to the extreme in the world’s harshest environments…(RabUK)
Rab Guide Jacket – Features
- Weight: 840g (Size L)
- Main body: Pertex Equilibrium
- Abrasion patches: double weave soft shell
- Lining: Hi-loft Polartec fleece
- Helmet compatible peaked hood
- 2 zipped A-line chest pockets
- Napoleon map pocket
- 2 zipped internal pockets
- Pit zips
- 2 way front zip with chin guard and internal storm flap
- Reflective trim
- Velcro cuffs
- Drawcord hem
The Vapour-rise range of clothing from Rab® was jointly developed with Pertex® and features Pertex Equilibrium fabric. It is designed to provide a 2 layer system that offers windproof breathable, high wicking and quick drying performance clothing.
Pertex Equilibrium – Summary of benefits…
- Extremely breathable, fast wicking and quick drying
- Highly wind and weather resistant
- High durability/abrasion resistance for its weight
- Comfortable, lightweight and packable
About the only thing it won’t do is climb the mountain for you! (Cotswold Outdoor)
I have to say after more than a year of wear, in all manner of conditions, the jacket has surpassed my initial but favourable expectations!
- Rab Baltoro Guide soft shell jacket (gearflogger.typepad.com)